Orchestral equipment insurance from Orchestralguard

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

We have split the FAQ's into 5 sections - please click on the relevant link to see those questions.

About the cover
About the company
About the site
Problems opening or receiving documents
About your payment plan

About the cover
  • 1) Do you only cover UK residents?
    • Yes. You must have been a resident of the United Kingdom for a minimum of 12 months at the time of policy inception. You must have a permanent residential address in the UK and have not been travelling abroad continuously for more than 12 months.
  • 2) I have previously made a claim, will this affect my cover?
    • You need to tell us about any musical instrument or equipment related losses or claims you have made within the last three years whether insured or not. It is important that you make an honest disclosure of any previous losses or claims.

      You can have up to 2 prior claims and still take out Orchestralguard insurance.

      You need to complete the claims section of the application form, as failure to disclose this information could invalidate your cover. You must also disclose any criminal convictions. If you are in any doubt, you should tell us.
  • 3) What information do you need to start cover?
    • We need your name, contact details, date of birth, payment details and the make and model of each item you would like to cover. Whilst we don't require the serial number to complete an application, you will need to provide this for items over 750 in the event of a claim.
  • 6) What value should I insure my instruments for?
    • For items that can be readily replaced with a new one (or with a similar model), the value should be the usual, undiscounted cost including VAT from a reputable dealer at the time you apply. End of season offers and bargains from Ebay do NOT count as the usual price.

      For vintage and rare instruments you should obtain a specific valuation. The valuation should be from a reputable source and not more than 12 months before your commencement date. It is advisable to obtain a new valuation at least every three years, to take into account any market changes in value during the period.

      Generally speaking, it is better to over insure rather than under insure.

      It is not necessary to specify accessories less than 100 as Orchestralguard provides you with 250 miscellaneous items cover. We do not cover any items under 30.
  • 7) What is the minimum/maximum age?
    • The minimum age we can insure is 16. However, we can provide cover for children under this age, providing the policy is arranged in a parent or guardian's name.

      The public liability and personal accident cover is only applicable for policyholders aged over 16, total permanent disablement is not applicable over the age of 65.
  • 8) What is the maximum value you insure?
    • You can insure a total value up to 250,000 through this website as long as no one item is over 10,000 in value. If you have an item over that value, we may be able to cover you, please call on 0345 450 6987 for an individual quote.
  • 10) Will my cases be covered?
    • Cases will only be covered where you have specified that an item has a case and have included the value of the case with the item value. If the case value exceeds 100 you should add this as a separate item.
  • 11) Are there any items you cannot cover?
    • The maximum cover for any one item is 10,000. We may be able to cover higher value items subject to individual quote please call on 0345 450 6987.

      We cover most items with the exception of:
      consumables such as strings, reeds and drum skins
      accidental damage to cymbals
      items under 30

      If you have any electric instruments or equipment, you will need to insure these through Musicguard.

      The information above is a guide only full details are available.
  • 14) Am I covered to take my equipment abroad?
    • This depends on the options you choose with Orchestralguard. As standard you are covered anywhere in the UK (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland). If you need to be covered in other locations, you can choose cover:
      Anywhere in the UK, EU with 30 days worldwide in any policy year
      Anywhere in the world at any time in any policy year.
  • 18) Do you cover computers, laptops or software?
    • Not with Orchestralguard but if you use your laptop or computer exclusively for musical activities you can insure these with Musicguard, however computers and laptops are only covered under our Musicguard policy if:
      They are used exclusively for the production of music (arranging, sequencing, composing etc)

      Disks, software and soundcards are only covered if:
      They have been bought from new
      They cannot be reinstated from a back-up disk
      That any code (a record of which must be kept by you) or protection device is no longer available or will operate

      The information above is a guide only full details are available.

If you can't find an answer to the question you're looking for, submit your question and email address and we'll endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible with the answer. (Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm only)
Questions marked with an asterisk (*) are compulsory.
Your email address:*
Email addresses are never sold or given to anybody.
Your question:*
HELPLINE 0345 450 6987
Call our UK-based call centre for immediate help and advice
Mon to Fri 9.00am to 6.00pm
Enter the total value of equipment you want to insure
> Thistle Insurance Services Limited
> Terms of use
> Privacy policy
> Contact us
> Earn money with us
McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams  
Click for free callback